5 Surprising Habits That Are Destroying Your Teeth
March 29, 2016 by Dr. Emanuel Blog
We all know that soft drinks, chocolate, cakes, ice cream and other sugary treats are the cause of tooth destruction. However, you might be doing other things on a regular basis that are just as responsible for decaying your teeth. Here are 5 surprising habits that might be destroying your teeth:
- Cough drops: if you are consuming cough drops on a regular basis, then it might be making significant contributions towards the decay of your teeth. The sugary element of the recipe is there to provide a pleasant taste, but at what cost?
- Not enough water: drinking water hydrates your mouth in addition to your body. Removing the dry environment reduces the ability of the bacteria to do their harmful work. Furthermore, fluoride that’s found in tap water helps fight tooth decay.
- Biting your nails: enamel is worn out when we bite our nails. The motion of biting our nails causes our lower jaw to project outwards. This is an unnatural biting motion and can cause pain to the lower jaw itself.
- Brushing teeth too hard: the action of brushing your teeth too hard causes the tooth enamel to wear away, and can result in your gums receding. Therefore, gentle strokes are the correct way to brush your teeth.
- Teeth as tools: while it might be tempting in some instances, using your teeth as tools will not have a positive effect on your teeth. Using teeth to rip off labels or open a bottle can cause fractures that will propagate over time.
Learn more and read the full article here.