Simple And Effective Tips To Improve Your Oral Health
December 23, 2013 by Dr. Emanuel Layliev Blog
Good oral hygiene begins at home. The time we take each day to brush, floss, and gargle can prevent most dental problems and disorders. It is distressing then that most of us come up short in all three areas.
According to a recent survey, only about half of Americans floss daily, and 10 percent never floss! When it comes to brushing, the statistics are more reassuring, until we talk about brushing time. Although most Americans brush their teeth at least twice a day, as instructed, they don’t do it for long enough. Average brushing time is just 30 second, compared to the 2 minutes recommended by the American Dental Association (ADA).
Tips for better oral care
- Brush at least twice a day, about 30 minutes after eating or drinking anything acidic.
- Sing your favorite two-minute song in your head to ensure proper brushing time.
- Always floss at least once a day, making sure to reach each and every tooth.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash to kill the bacteria that causes dental plaque.
- If you have sensitive teeth, ask your doctor for specialty products.
- If you miss a day of flossing, don’t make up for it the next day; it could lead to gum irritation.